We are committed to serving our community. We recognise the multi-cultural, multi-faith and ever-changing nature of the United Kingdom. We also understand the vital role we play in ensuring that groups or individuals within our school community are not subjected to discrimination, intimidation or radicalisation by those wishing to unduly, or illegally, influence them.
We accept admissions from all those entitled to an education under British law, including students of all faiths or none. We follow a rigorous diversity and equality scheme, which seeks to eradicate discrimination against any individual or group, regardless of faith, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexuality, disability, political or financial status, or similar. We aim to serve all of our community.
The Government emphasises that schools are required to ensure that key ‘British Values’ are taught in all UK schools. The government set out its definition of British values in the ‘Prevent Strategy’ – values of:
- the rule of law
- individual liberty
- mutual respect
- tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
We use strategies within the curriculum and beyond to ensure these values are communicated and acted upon.
At Nansen Primary School our spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) education permeates through the school’s curriculum, supports the development of the ‘whole child’ and includes the teaching and development of British Values such as:
- To be conversant with examples of British creativity and/or culture
- To uphold the rule of the law
- To understand and exercise the notion of fair play
- To appreciate the importance of equality before the law
- To be aware of significant personalities, events and turning points in our history
- To have some understanding of how a democratic political system works
- To identify with different people and their cultures
- To respect the opinions and beliefs of others
- To cherish the individual liberty afforded to citizens of these islands
- To support the principle of freedom of expression
- To be committed to personal and social responsibilities
- To develop a sense of community and togetherness
Curriclum Map of British Values at Nansen Primary School
Rules of Law
Mutual Respect and Tolerance